Pages

Bird egg nails

I designed this nail art with two inspirations in mind.. regular readers will know I'm taking part in the summer of colour challenge (full links below) so my colour scheme was set...next I needed a design.. I really wasn't sure how I would work with these colours for nails so I was racking my brain for something good when I had a lightbulb moment! ...I realised it would be perfect for little speckled bird eggs I was so excited and even though I still wasn't sure the colours would be good for nails most of the way through...I ended up falling totally in love with them!
Eggs image source: Bird Print Art
So as I mentioned this post is my entry for week 2 of Twinkle twinkles Summer of Color challenge, the colour scheme is mint choc chip this time... co-incidentally my favourite flavour... Although I was a bit worried when I started thinking about it in terms of colour as opposed to taste! Below is the yummy inspiration photo that Twinkle has posted for week 2.
Image source: Twinkle twinkle like a star
I wanted to get my mint choc chip bird eggs looking pretty realistic so I did a lot of looking online for the right style eggs before setting to work.
The steps were really subtle so I'll keep it short, I started with white and mint base, added light sponging in blue and teal, more sponging with a pearl polish, did the splatter effect with a lighter coffee brown and a dark chocolatey brown on top before finishing with top coat.. that makes it sound easy..hah!
 I think it will be a little while before you see a full 'splatter technique' tutorial on my blog, because I definately need to work on not splattering EVERYTHING else around me before I go teaching other people how to do it lol/aagh! (thank god I don't have carpet!)
I feel like this nail art could have been such a total train wreck of plan if it hadn't worked out.. brown speckled nails is just a little bit risky.. and I had pretty much set my mind to thinking I'd just do my challenge post and then take them off straight after - until I finished... and then I just couldn't stop looking at them!
 Like real little delicate eggs! I loved how the sponging in the background gives a slight eggshell mottled effect.
 
Hope you like them too, I look forward to seeing all the other entries to the challenge this week and seeing what other people have made of it! back soon with something new for you, have a great week x

Painted

Phasellus facilisis convallis metus, ut imperdiet augue auctor nec. Duis at velit id augue lobortis porta. Sed varius, enim accumsan aliquam tincidunt, tortor urna vulputate quam, eget finibus urna est in augue.

23 comments:

  1. This look so cute, they remind me of chocolate mini eggs! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I really love these. Speckled pale blue birds eggs are one of my favourite colour combinations, and mint choc chip is my fave ice-cream flavour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, they look exactly like delicate eggs - so impressed with beign able to create with both hands

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are BEAUTIFUL, just like delicate little bird eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like them. Your splattering is perfect xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice idea from birds :))) Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty nails...lovely colour...xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh these are wonderful - I love the effect you've achieved - so, so clever and although I simply don't have the hands for nice nails (they are usually covered in gel medium, paint, ink, glue etc, I would certainly have these nails - they are absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing! I just don't know how you keep coming up with all these fab ideas!
    x x

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an amazing idea! I would love to be able to paint my nails in such fun ways!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent - how cool is that!! BJ

    ReplyDelete
  12. You captured the egg perfectly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. insanely perfect... I would love toes painted like that... how fun would that be...xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh thanks everyone so many lovely comments! I really appreciate them all! sorry I didnt reply to everyone individually this time but THANKS EVERYBODY!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. they look just like the bird eggs!! I've never had the nails for those exotic nail makeovers. you have so many interesting ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh god, the nails look so much like the little blue eggs! really good imitation! (:
    And thank you for your amazing comment at my blog, it made me happy ^^
    I agree with you that many people don't try to explore the world and the people in it anymore.. such a pity :P

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amazing stuff! That you didn't get it all over your fingers and that it's just so perfect. my partner keeps birds and this post has made me smile a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow I am so impressed. I have a question. What are you using to paint the nails with? nail polish or acrylic paint then cover with a clear polish? if using acrylic, just use an old toothbrush and dip in your brown paint to speckle them , the closer to your nails the bigger the spray, further away, it gets smaller.
    Anyways I love this look. Wish I had nails that even look remotely this nice.
    Lesley♥

    ReplyDelete
  19. These look so lovely. I was thinking of purchasing the duck egg nail wraps but these look great and not too in your face. Great photos! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I haven't seen the nail wraps yet! these weren't to tricky if I remember , I really liked wearing them as well..thanks for comenting x

      Delete